Join Our Board ~ Board Fact Sheet
About Media Literacy & Media Literacy Now
Media Literacy education empowers young people with the skills to recognize the shaping effects of media. It is a movement of people calling for change in education systems across the nation to ensure all students have the Media Literacy skills they need in a global media age.
As a result of Media Literacy, young people gain the ability to:
- Decode media messages.
- Assess the influence of those messages on thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Create media thoughtfully and conscientiously.
Media Literacy Now is a politically neutral non-profit with the goal of making Media Literacy widely understood and accepted as an essential element in public education at the local, state, and national levels.
We pursue this goal through:
- Public awareness campaigns.
- Policymaker education, research, and coalition building.
- Influencing regulations and legislation.
Every day, Media Literacy Now is inspiring policy action in states across the country and providing structure and resources that lower the barriers to entry for activists. We are changing the way people think about media and literacy.
Media Literacy Now: Recent Achievements
- Advised efforts in 8 states leading to 15 successful pieces of legislation.
- Actively working with advocates in more than 12 states to build coalitions and influence policymakers, laws, regulations, and funding decisions.
- Established infrastructure to support a chapter in every state.
- Created national repository for legislative and policy activity tracking on Media Literacy issues.
Our Board Significantly Impacts Our Success
Made up of talented and passionate people, our board guides and supports our organization and participates in major initiatives. To help us grow, board member raise Media Literacy awareness and financial support and share their experience and expertise—and have a great time in the process!
We’re seeking talented and passionate people with diverse perspectives to serve as board members. MLN is a young, growing organization and are looking for some dynamic people. We especially need people who have skills and experience in: marketing; policy advocacy, social justice advocacy and movement-building; strategy; and development and fundraising, especially for advocacy or educational initiatives.
Being a board member is a meaningful and empowering experience, which:
- Requires flexibility and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get involved.
- Helps us expand the reach, credibility, and visibility of our organization.
- Contributes to, and increases, our fundraising efforts.
Board members attend one monthly meeting, by conference call or in person, and one annual in-person board retreat.
- Time commitment is projected at 2 to 10 hours per month, with a one-hour monthly meeting, and some additional committee work.
- Board members are asked to donate, seek financial contributions from their networks, and assist in other ways with fundraising.
Learn More About Our Board Opportunities
Contact Erin McNeill at email@example.com