Thinking about joining our board?
Here’s our board fact sheet.
As a startup, we’re building momentum and looking for people to get on board and help us grow. Would you like to join us?
About Media Literacy & Media Literacy Now
Media Literacy education empowers young people with the skills to recognize the shaping effects of media. It is a movement of people calling for change in education systems across the nation to ensure all students have the Media Literacy skills they need in a global media age.
As a result of Media Literacy, young people gain the ability to:
- Decode media messages.
- Assess the influence of those messages on thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Create media thoughtfully and conscientiously.
Media Literacy Now is a politically neutral non-profit with the goal of making Media Literacy widely understood and accepted as an essential element in public education at the local, state, and national levels.
We pursue this goal through:
- Public awareness campaigns.
- Policymaker education, research, and coalition building.
- Influencing regulations and legislation.
Every day, Media Literacy Now is inspiring policy action in states across the country and providing structure and resources that lower the barriers to entry for activists. We are changing the way people think about media and literacy.
Media Literacy Now is a 501c(4) nonprofit organization. Our application for 501c(3) status is pending with the IRS.
- Advised efforts in 7 states leading to 9 successful pieces of legislation.
- Actively working with advocates in more than 12 states to build coalitions and influence policymakers, laws, and regulations.
- Established infrastructure to support a chapter in every state.
- Created national repository for legislative and policy activity tracking on Media Literacy issues
- Launch local public awareness campaigns
- Research on Media Literacy existing programs and efficacy
- Policymaker and stakeholder education outreach
- Develop educational/promotional media (apps, videos)
- Develop Media Literacy center
Our Board Significantly Impacts Our Success
Made up of talented and passionate people, our board guides and supports our organization and participates in major initiatives. To help us grow, board member raise Media Literacy awareness and financial support and share their experience and expertise—and have a great time in the process!
Being a board member is a meaningful and empowering experience, which:
- Requires flexibility and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get involved.
- Helps us expand the reach, credibility, and visibility of our organization.
- Contributes to, and increases, our fundraising efforts.
Board members attend one monthly meeting, by conference call or in person, and one annual in-person board retreat.
- Time commitment is projected at 5 to 10 hours per month, with a two-hour monthly meeting, and some additional committee work.
- Board members are asked to donate, seek financial contributions from their networks, and assist in other ways with fundraising
Discover how you can change the way people think about media and literacy.
If you have questions, or to set up an appointment for a phone call or meeting, please reach out to Erin McNeill, board president at 617 395-4222 or firstname.lastname@example.org