Quick update! There has been a lot of action already this year. I want to let you know where the initiative stands, with more information coming soon. In most cases you can get more details on individual chapter pages or on the legislative pages.
Here’s a summary:
Our most recent model legislation (based on the successful Washington bill) has been introduced in:
- New York
- New Mexico (memorial) – Success! Hearing held, committee approved, House approved and signed. While not a new law, passage of this memorial means the legislature recognizes the need for media literacy education and will continue to work on the legislation during the interim between sessions.
- Connecticut – Joint Education Committee unanimously approved! Next step, Senate floor.
Our previous models are introduced or moving forward in:
- New Jersey – previously approved by Senate, awaiting action in the House
- Rhode Island – House hearing held March 22.
We’re supporting other media literacy bills in:
- Washington – House and Senate hearings held on a follow up bill upon implementation of last year’s new law. The bill asks for appropriations for recommendations made by the state education agency.
- West Virginia